26. October 2021CINTRAN and Powering Past Coal COP26 Event
This event and panel discussion co-organized by the CINTRAN project, the Powering Past Coal Alliance (PPCA), the Secretariat of the Initiative for Coal Regions in Transition, will bring together European and international practitioners to share their insights and lessons on how to ensure a just transition away from coal.
Voices from the regions: sharing first-hand experiences on coal phase-out in Europe and beyond
Friday, 5 November 2021, 11:30 – 12:30 GMT, 12:30 – 13:30 CET
Location: online, more information and registration here.
Note: Upon registration, participants will receive the connection details and they will be able to access the online platform on 1st November. The platform is hosting all the virtual side events, therefore participants will need to find the session upon entering. Please check the tab ‘Virtual sessions’ on the day and time of our event and you will find the streaming.
Organisers: Secretariat of the Initiative for Coal Regions in Transition, Secretariat of the Initiative for Coal Regions in Transition for Western Balkans and Ukraine; CINTRAN H2020 project; Powering Past Coal Alliance (PPCA) Secretariat
Faced with an accelerating energy transition, coal regions in the EU and beyond are striving to ensure their workers and local communities are not left behind. Achieving a just transition will take time and effort but coal regions in the EU have made significant progress over the past few years and can inspire coal regions globally.
This panel discussion will bring together European and international practitioners to share their insights and lessons on how to ensure a just transition away from coal.
There are tried and tested approaches that can facilitate change, agency and mobilisation, even for regions at earlier stages of the transition process. Despite its short and long-term challenges, there are ways to accelerate the transition away from coal which recognise that legitimate transition processes are dependent on the inclusion of affected communities and groups.
The discussion will focus on the following:
- Actions for achieving an effective and inclusive mobilisation and organisation of coal transition at the regional and local level
- Challenges of regional transition journeys and how they can be addressed
- Regional transition success stories
- Promoting coal transition in regions that are at an early stage of the transition process or have not yet commenced
- Robert Pollock, Senior Advisor, Secretariat of the EU Initiative for coal regions in transition (Moderator)
- Srestha Banerjee, Director, Just Transition International Forum for Environment, Sustainability & Technology (iFOREST), India
- María Belarmina Díaz Aguado, Director General of Energy, Mining and Reactivation, Government of Asturias, Spain
- Maciej Sytek, President of the Board of ARR Konin, Eastern Wielkopolska, Poland (member of the PPCA)
- Dimitris Ziouzios, Researcher and Advisor for ICT and Environment, Regional Development Fund of Western Macedonia, Greece
- Rinora Gojani, Programmes and Operations Manager, Balkan Green Foundation
Event information and registration here.
More information about the CINTRAN project here.