The Transnational Centre for Just Transitions in Energy, Climate and Sustainability- TRAJECTS opens its Call for Applications for Junior Research Stays 2021.
Call for Applications for TRAJECTS Junior Research Stays 2021
TRAJECTS is a DAAD-funded project that seeks to create and/or strengthen research and teaching capacities on Just Transitions in Energy, Climate and Sustainability, especially in the Global South. Within this framework, Junior Research Stays (JRS) aim to support short research stays and/or internships (2-4 months) for young researchers from, within and/or to the Global South. Supported individuals are expected to come from one TRAJECTS’ institution (e.g. a university in Colombia such as UNAL) to intern and/or research at another TRAJECTS institution (e.g. an NGO such as AIDA). With this, the Centre intends to encourage extra-academic, interdisciplinary and international exchange.
During TRAJECTS (2021-2025), we expect to support 98 short research stays/internships for young researchers or practitioners, divided into 5 cohorts, one cohort per year. Approximately 20 JRS will be supported in 2021.
- Deadline for applications: 27 August 2021
- Notification of applicants: for rejections by September 3 2021, for acceptance starting in September 3, and subject to individual placement deadlines and selection process.
- Implementation of Junior Research Stays 2021: Sept – Dec. 2021
- Please note that some of the placements have additional recruitment requirements (e.g. interviews or technical tests) with additional deadlines, it is the responsibility of each candidate to monitor and fulfil the requirements and deadlines for individual placements.
- All applicants should complete the application form. In addition, all the application documents (e.g. CV, motivation letter) should be submitted via email together with all other additional documents required by the specific placement (e.g. references, writing samples, etc.) in a single PDF of max. 5 MB to the respective National Contact Point (see below).
- Please note that some of the placements have additional application requirements (e.g. language certificates, etc.) it is the responsibility of each candidate to monitor and fulfil the requirements and deadlines for individual placements.
- Candidates can apply to more than one placement if profile and requirements are met but should indicate their preference clearly in the motivation letter and fill out two separate application forms for each placement.
- Speculative applications are permitted, but applicants should get in touch with the host institution first, which will then discuss the placement with the NCP.
- Scholarship funding: Grantees affiliated to a university as postgraduate students, PhD candidates, or researchers. Undergraduate students are not eligible.
- Allowance funding: Practitioners without direct affiliation to a university. Study degree/qualifications should be appropriate for the position, but no minimum requirement is needed.
- Either the sending institution of the applicant or the host institution must be members of the TRAJECTS network. In special circumstances, and upon approval of the host institution and the Steering Committee, applicants who are not yet part of a TRAJECTS organization could be considered (to be considered on an individual basis). See the call for applications for more details.
Scope of funding
- Monthly allowance of 400,- EUR/month, for min. 75% of a full-time equivalent (FTE) position (here understood as 40h/week for 4 weeks in a month), preferably 2-4 months. Daily allowance for incomplete months: 13,-EUR/day for day 1-22; a full monthly allowance for incomplete months of minimum 23 days duration. Both presential and virtual JRS are fundable.
- Travel costs (real costs; budget for up to 400,- EUR for national travel) – International travel not supported in 2021 due to pandemic restrictions.
Download here the 2021 Call for applications for a full overview of the application process, eligibility criteria, and placements available.
Fill out here the 2021 Application Form.
We are looking forward to your application. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions.
National Contact Point Colombia & TRAJECTS Latin American hub:
Universidad Nacional de Colombia
National Contact Point South Africa & TRAJECTS African hub:
University of Cape Town
General queries and applications from applicants from outside Colombia or South Africa can be addressed to:
National Contact Point Germany and TRAJECTS European hub:
Technische Universität Berlin
Paola Yanguas Parra
Concrete questions to specific placements can be clarified via email with the placement contact point BEFORE the submission of the application.
The TRAJECTS centre is one of the four DAAD funded Global Centres for Climate and Environment which have received funding from Germany’s Federal Foreign Office. The sole responsibility for the content of this website lies with the authors and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the DAAD, the Federal Foreign Office or other German agencies or bodies.